The 11th Session of the Islamic Conference Summit was under the presidency of H.E.M Abdoulaye WADE, President of the Republic of Senegal.
The other members, also elected at the unanimity, were:
• The State of Palestine: Vice-President
• The Arab Republic of Egypt: Vice-President
• The Republic of Turkey: Vice President
• Malaysia: Reporter
The main theme of this summit was the “Islam in the 21st Century” with the main objective of improving Islam’s image in the Western countries and to help economically Muslim’s poorest countries.
The Conference also deals with the terrorism problem and his rejection by the members which want to promote Islam as a peace and respectful religion. In that perspective, this summit was a great opportunity to stress the importance of human rights.
During the summit, leaders of the world’s biggest Islamic countries also speak about the situation in the Middle-East and in particular with the conflict between Israel and Palestine and still lutte for a Palestinian State.
An other aspect discuss during in Dakar was the “Islamophobia” in the West, with a particular attention on the printing by Danish newspapers of a satirical cartoon insulting Prophet Muhammad under the freedom of expression.
This summit was also a very good occasion to reinforce solidarity between Muslim countries. In the Dakar’s Declaration, members have confirmed their commitment by helping the Islamic Solidarity Fund drew up by the Islamic Development Bank for an amount of $10 billion.
The other key events of the 11th Islamic Summit Conference:
• The re-election of the Secretary General of the OIC, Professor Ejmeleddin Ihsanoglu during the closing meeting.
• The establishment of a new charter which sets the new mandate at five years instead of four years, so, because Professor Ihsanoglu has one year remaining in office, he will stay the Secretary General of the OIC for the next six years.
• The presidents of Sudan, H.E.M Omar Al-Beshir and Chad, H.E.M Idriss Deby signed a non-aggression pact
• Request of an immediate presidential election in Liban and the formation of a new government
In the final declaration, the organization confirm his desire to play a major role in international problems linked to globalization such as global warming, poverty, environment or the role of the woman in the society.
H.E.M Mahmoud Ahmadinejad,
President of the Islamic Republic of Iran
Hon. Abou Bakr Abdallah Al-Qirbi,
Minister of Foreign Affairs of Yemen
Hon. Ahmed Aboul Gheit,
Minister of Foreign Affairs of Egypt
Valérie Janczewski with H.E.M Abdoulaye Wade, President of Senegal
H.E.M Ismail Omar Guelleh, President of Djibouti
Valerie Janczewski with the President of Mali, H.E.M Amadou Toumani Touré
Dr. Haris Silajdžić, Bosniak member of the Presidency of Bosnia and Herzegovina
Matea Prlic with the President of Mauritania, H.E.M Sidi Ould Cheikh Abdallahi
M. Karim Wade,
President of OIC National Agency Senegal